Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The first night after our vacation

Our house has, especially last year, had lots of scorpions. Growing up in Tennessee, this is one stinging bug that I had never really dealt with and was happy to keep avoiding. But when our neighbors built their house, we were absolutely invaded by scorpions. Probably about 4 a week from June until early September. This summer wasn't so bad, I think we had about 4 or 5 the whole summer! Still, those things freak me out and I squeel like a girl (which is unusual for me when we're talking about bugs, animals or even stinky smells). Dale is the official scorpion killer.

The first night we got back from our Florida vacation, I had one of the most vivid and unusual dreams of my life. In my dream, Dale and I were asleep in bed when he suddenly jumped up out of bed to get ready for work - at exactly 6:01 with no alarm (this never happens). I sat up to tell him good morning and noticed that about 10 inches above where his head had just been on his pillow, there was a giant scorpion. Like, I don't even think scorpions come in this size anywhere. Our Texas scorpions are sometimes tiny, but at the most 3 inches long or so. This scorpion was a good 8-10 inches long and probably 5 inches wide. And it was a FAT sucker, too. I freaked, jumped out of bed, and noticed another one right over MY pillow! Then I turned to run out of our bedroom and noticed THREE over our doorway! Dale killed them all, and in my dream, I went back to sleep. (Wouldn't have happened in real life, sometimes I lay there for HOURS when we find a scorpion in the bedroom).

The really odd thing is that when I woke up the next morning, I couldn't figure out if it was a dream or real life. I actually had to ask Dale if there were scorpions in our bed. This rarely happens to me - usually I know I'm dreaming even when I'm dreaming, and usually my dreams are so freakishly weird, there is no way they are real life anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment